While I haven’t had a chance to work on it much, I finally trotted it out for a short game recently. I’m going to finish this one way or another, but I’ve had some aesthetic concerns. First, I’ve been a little concerned with the general look of big ‘mechs on little terrain. Ends up that the unpainted plastic figures from the introductory boxed set work oddly well; being unfinished they strike as being more figurative than representational which fits with the discrepancy of scale. Also, the terrain actually makes their unpainted medium grey color less offensive. I wonder if their smaller then full sized bases also helped. (When a figure with a normal sized base is next to a hill it almost looks like an un-based mech is standing on a higher level). Pulling and holding the wooded hexes when moving into them and noting it for combat wasn’t so much of an issue as I thought it might be, remembering to put them back though was. Simply putting a slip in those hexes would solve that, but ideal to set up the board by moving the trees around without the second step of marking their positions. The hills have been warped for a while, but I was a little disappointed with how the board itself seems to be holding up. While the slight bowing that the spray-mount seems to have caused isn’t a big issue by itself, if I were to make four boards and set them side by side it could get ugly. Finally, no excuse for my poor photography, I promise I’ll get a real camera someday.
My new plywood template is alright. For the best results it’d definitely be best to screen print a grid on. At minimum, I’m pretty sure I could use a color that more complements the ‘burnt grass’. I decided to go with the browner surface to set the woods off a little, but it causes them to seem a little more artificial than I’d like. You can see the results of the previously mentioned warping foam core in the hills of the third image.
I’m still on break, and am taking advantage of it with a in-progress trip to Atlanta spurred by a visit by talented and waifishly pretty Annie Clark (aka. St. Vincent ), who needs to be somehow paired up with Miranda July immediately so I can touch the sides of my eyebrows with the corners of my smile.
Classes – and official work on my thesis – begins in a week. To… celebrate (?)… in future weeks I’ll be discussing the relations between ideas in this book and this essay, the latter of which is required reading for anyone interested in game design.
The terrain project is on a delay. After learning that using this on foam-core causes the wet side to shrink (dur) and the board to curl I acquired a Woodland scenics grass mat and quickly pieced up a pair of 17″x22″ surfaces with some spray-mount and an x-acto blade. Unfortunately my home made 8.5″x11″ hex pattern stencil needs replaced with one that covers more area and lays as flat as Ohio. Litko has stencils for purchase but not in the 1.25″ catholic variety which I’ve resolved to adhere to. Securing 1/32″ thick birch plywood was easy enough but cutting the holes is going to take a moment (or more accurately 250+ moments)… and possibly a drill.
So. Flocking Foamcore is a Bad Idea™ (What can I say, I work with screen media not this… atom based stuff). I’m in the process of trying to flatten out the sheets, but the outlook is not good. I can get pre-flocked paper stuff by the foot from a local hobby shop. It might be best to re-cut the ground level out of a single piece and mac-tac a flocked sheet to it. Then I can begin the adventure of Water Effects.
The wooded hexes have come along alright. 1/2″ flight pegs for the light woods and 3/4″ pegs for the heavies seem to work best. I’m wondering if a darker or burnt color for their bases might set the ‘trees’ in better relief. Also, I’m short 4 bases. Litko isn’t exactly super fast with turning around orders so baring other fixes this project might be a touch unfinished for a while.
Using some custom cut clear hex bases and short clear flight pegs from Litko Aerosystems I figure I can make some hex tiles to go with my hex-map-scale scaled terrain. The flight pegs make picking up the ’tiles’ a breeze (when units move into them), and are almost invisible if you’re not looking for them. Also, A while back we found that the just the clear hex basis are great for marking building damage, just write on them with a marker and place on the map.